Saturday 8 April 2017

April Update and Dispatches from Toronto



The year is ticking along, so it's time for another quick update on the projects that I'm working on, but I also want to talk a little about my time in Toronto too, so let's get to it.

  • I enjoyed the heck out of my time at Toronto Comic Con. It wasn't as big as New York, but It sure as hell had the talent on display. I spent more money on swag than was reasonably healthy, and I picked up a lot of independant comics that I no doubt will be covering for my Obsucre Comic of the Month column.
  • The highlight of the show was meeting Andrew Wheeler and Jim Zub, both writers who I have a great deal of respect for. They were lovely to meet and talk shop with, particularly regarding...
  • Chapterhouse Comics, for those that don't know, is a Canadian comic book publisher most likely known for the current run of Captain Canuck comics. I was lucky enough to catch the Chapterhouse panel. The publisher's current line is resurrecting a bunch of vintage Canadian comic heroes and working them together into a shared universe. It sounds like a promising project, seeing them construct the feel of a decades old universe without the baggage of actual decades. I've read issue one of Freelance, by Wheeler and Zub, and I'm excited to see where they go with this.

  • Work continues on the John Paul Jones comic, which you can see some work in progress art for above. Visiting Fort York in Toronto was also helpful in getting a feel for era-specific clothing and weapons.
  • I've been planning for a while to self-publish a bunch of short Modern Realms novellas, with each one featuring a different artist. I don't really have a time-frame for the project, but I'm thinking about getting one out this year just to test the waters.
  • I missed out on doing an Obscure Comic of the Month in march due to Mass Effect: Andromeda multiple factors, such as being in Toronto, and getting out a eulogy for the recently closed Comics Alliance. We'll be back on schedule this month, however.
  • No release date on The Scars of Jocasta Lacroix as yet, but it's coming, oh boy, it's coming.

And that's about all for now. As ever, you can keep up to date on my projects through my Tumblr amd my Twitter. And if you'd like to support my work, please consider checking out my Modern Realms anthology and Carnack Ebook. Thanks.

No comments: